Top Review by dogcop1us
I am making my third batch of this relish, all of my coworkers and most of my family can not seem to get enough of it! I do add whatever fresh mild peppers I am over run with, and one or two minced hot pepper , but will likely follow this basic recipe for years to come!
- 10 cups zucchini, unpeeled, chopped (about 7 medium)
- 4 cups onions, chopped (about 4 large)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon turmeric, ground
- 4 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large container, combine zucchini, onion, pepper, chilies and salt; stir well.
- Chill overnight. Rinse thoroughly; drain.
- In a large kettle, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Add zucchini mixture; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust lids.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
- Serving suggestion: Mix into tuna or macaroni salad.
- (Country Woman July/Aug 1995)