Recipe by JackieOhNo!
As a beginning cook, I especially liked to practice making pies. Peaches are probably my favorite fruit (but only when in season), so it was a pie I practiced often. I finally got up the nerve to enter a local Grange Fair, and was so surprised to win! That was great encouragement for a novice pie maker.
Top Review by WiGal
Definitely could give this more than 5 stars! My DH raved about this pie! The spice combination and cream mixture is perfectly delicious! I baked mine longer but it could be the oven or b/c I use a special tin under the pie tin in case there is a spill over. Thanks JackieOhNo! for sharing a prize winner! Made for PRMR.
- pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced peeled peaches
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream (half-and-half or light cream may be substituted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a lightly floured board, roll out bottom crust and fit into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add peaches and stir until they are coated. Spoon peaches into lined pie pan.
- Mix together egg and cream and pour over peaches. Roll the remaining pie pastry to cover pie and place over the peaches. Round edges to seal; prick top of pastry to let steam escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake until crust is golden, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.