Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a wonderful whole wheat bread. Perfect served warm with butter.
- 3 liters whole wheat flour
- 125 ml water, lukewarm
- 70 ml honey
- 15 ml active dry yeast
- 250 ml skim milk powder
- 425 ml hot water
- 30 ml shortening
- 30 ml salt
- 500 ml cold water
- In a small bowl, combine lukewarm water and 5 ml honey. Add yeast and let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine milk powder and hot water. Add shortening, salt, and reaming honey. Stir until dissolved and add cold water.
- Stir in yeast mixture with a fork and add to milk mixture.
- Add half the flour and beat with a spoon until smooth. Add remaining flour, gradually mixing thoroughly using just enough flour to prevent stickiness.
- When dough is stiff, turn out on to a floured board and knead until smooth and satiny, about 10 minutes.
- Shape into smooth ball and place in a well greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Punch dough down.
- Let rise again, when doubled divide into 4 equal portions.
- Let rise 10 minutes.
- Shape into loaves and place in 4 loaf pans.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Bake in 400F oven for about 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake 25-30 minutes until loaves sound hollow when tapped.