1/4 Photos of Prize-Winning Gluten-Free Sponge Cake
Taken from Jo Seagar's "It's Easier Than You Think" cookbook. Make sure the corn flour (corn starch) isn't wheaten. Also check the icing sugar is made from pure sugar, and doesn't contain cornstarch or gluten.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cornflour, make sure it is gluten-free (cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, gluten-free
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam, warmed
- 250 g strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Coat 2 spring form pans with baking spray, then line with baking paper. The baking spray helps keep the paper from moving around.
- 2In a microwave bowl or small saucepan, place the sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Stir every now and then to dissolve the sugar.
- 3Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff. Slowly drizzle in the hot sugar mixture with the mixer running. Then beat really hard for 3 minutes. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla.
- 4Sift together cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Carefully fold these into the egg mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- 5Bake 18-20 minutes. As soon as you remove them from the oven, drop the pans from knee height, square on the floor - seriously! This is a strange sponge making trick that 'shocks' the cake and stops it from deflating.
- 6Then immediatly turn sponges out onto a wire rack or baking paper to cool upside down.
- 7Beat cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Warm jam for a few seconds in the microwave.
- 8Place one sponge on the serving plate. Spread first with jam, then whipped cream.Top with strawberry slices. Then put second sponge on top. Dust with icing .
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prize-Winning Gluten-Free Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3213.5
- Calories from Fat 1230
- Total Fat 136.7 g
- Saturated Fat 75.7 g
- Cholesterol 1151.5 mg
- Sodium 1973.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 465.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 291.3 g
- Protein 45.4 g