Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
$20,000 Prize Winning Chili
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground chuck
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chpd.)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown half the meat; pour off fat. Remove meat. Brown remaining meat; pour off all fat except 2 Tbsps. Add onion, garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add meat and remaining ingredients except flour, cornmeal and warm water. Mix well. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer covered 2 hours.
- Stir together flour and cornmeal; add warm water. Mix well. Stir into chili mixture. Cook covered 20 minutes longer. Serve hot.
This was a delicious chili recipe -- I used a dark coffee porter ale that's brewed locally and it added a nice depth to the chili. I did add more chili powder since we like our chili spicy, but the texture and spice blend was really nice! Thanks for posting.
Good chili. It goes together really quickly and smells great while it's simmering. I served this to some of my kids this weekend and everyone enjoyed it. But, my family aren't real Texans - they love beans in their chili, lol. Thanks Pace for sharing. Made for PAC Fall 2008.
Pace this is an excellant chili recipe, I see why iit's a $20.000/00..prize winner... seasonings blend very well.. hubby really enjoyed it also... i've sent recipe to friends... thanks for posting it. Nita