1/1 Photo of Prize Winning Bean Salad
4 hrs 5 mins
This was something I made to take to a potluck at work. I started out making it as a whole bean dip/salsa, but when I finished, it seemed it would make a wonderful salad, stuffed in fresh tomatoes from the garden or served on a bed of romaine. I used the tiny bit of leftovers spooned on broiled fish, so the possibilities really seem endless. I threw things together from things in my cupboard (the cans of Rotel were leftover from someone coming over eons ago, but you could easily chop up a couple of ripe tomatoes and chilis), but sifted the brain cells to remember everything I did after I won first place in our potluck competition as a side salad and everyone wanted the recipe. You can easily spice this up more to your taste by adding jalapenos or your favourite chile, next time I make this I might try adding a couple of tomatillos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans small white beans, well drained (all 3 the same or different, doesn't matter)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes & chilies, well drained
- 2 bell peppers, doesn't matter what colour,i use 1 yellow & 1 orange for different colours,finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, minced (about 1 bunch)
- ground black pepper
- 1In a small saucepan, toast cumin over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant.
- 2In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, salt, sugar, worcestershire, toasted cumin, and oregano until well blended, set aside for 5 minutes.
- 3Combine remaining in large bowl, mix well.
- 4Stir dressing one more time before pouring over bean mixture and toss to coat all, taste for salt and pepper.
- 5Tastes best if made the night before and refrigerated for several hours for flavours to blend.
Browse Our Top Time To Make Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prize Winning Bean Salad
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.6
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 623.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 11.6 g