I have won ribbons with this recipe which I received from my grandmother. The only thing I do that is different from my grandmothers is I just throw the bananas in the freezer whole and unpeeled. Then I let them thaw and squeeze them into the batter when the recipe calls for them. I think that is the secret to the moist, denseness that my banana bread has. This bread CAN NOT be doubled. I know because I have tried 3 times and the bread won't rise. Cool COMPLETELY on a rack before wrapping and refrigerating. Or it will be icky and sticky in the middle. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
- In mixer, cream butter and sugar; add egg yolks, soda, milk, and vanilla.
- Slowly add flour until well mixed.
- Add bananas and mix well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Hand fold in whipped egg whites.
- Fill 2 oiled Med. size loaf pans only half full.
- Or 1 bunt pan with a tube.
- Bake at 300* for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- After 10 minutes turn onto a rack to cool.
- ***Cool completely on wire rack before wrapping***.
- Refrigerate after cooled.