Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
This cookie recipe took first prize in a contest, it has remained a favorite for many years! :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup apple, peeled, and finely chopped (Granny Smith apples are best)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple juice
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and both sugars together.
- Beat in the egg and apple juice.
- In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; blend well.
- Mix in the chopped apples and nuts.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
- For frosting: Beat all frosting ingredients until smooth; frost cookies.
This turned out amazing. I baked the chopped apples in 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup butter, with apple pie spice, roasted cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg to make the apples tender before adding them to the cookie mix. I also added roasted cinnamon and apple pie spice to the icing for extra flavor! Thank you Kittencal for an awesome recipe!!!!
I made this recipe but substituted with 2 cups whole wheat flr and 1/4 cup white flr when I read the reviews that stated their cookies ran a little. This also detracted from the apparent sweetness which for me is much nicer. I made a glaze with powdered sugar and apple juice and everyone loved them.
This is a fabulous recipe. As mother of the bride recently, I offered to bake desserts for the groom's table. I used a mandolin to thinly slice the quartered apples and did not use the icing, just dusted with powdered sugar. I baked these apple cookies, apple muffins, apple bundt cake and two heart shaped pumpkin pies. Most of the recipes were from food.com. We had a marvelous wedding cake from a local bakery so I didn't expect many of my desserts would be eaten. I was so wrong. It was like locusts in a wheat field. Only crumbs were left. The compliments made me feel so glad I made the extra effort on that busy, busy day. Your cookies were wonderful and I made them exactly as you wrote. Thanks so much.