Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a Malaysian chicken from the pritikin diet which is both low in fat and great tasting!
- 48 ounces chicken breast halves, skinned
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock, minus fat
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red Burgundy wine
- 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl or pan. Place all the remaining ingredients, except yogurt, in a blender, and blend.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken, turning to coat well. Cover and marinate over night in the refrigerator.
- About 1 hour before serving, transfer chicken and marinade to a baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until chicken is nearly done.
- Remove from oven and spoon some of the chicken sauce into a small bowl. Allow sauce to cool slightly, then add the yogurt to the bowl and mix with the sauce.
- Pour mixture over the chicken. Cover and return to the oven for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- The sauce may curdle slightly, but this will not affect the taste or quality of the dish.
- Garnish with orange slices and parsley.
- You can also sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of cooked peas over the chicken breast just before serving.