Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a really yummy moist cake, but because there is no sugar in it, it won't keep long. I actually like eating this with butter on it..so much for the diet, but it is very tasty. You can substitute fresh, sugar free juice for the water, pineapple is particularly tasty. I also add in more Glace Cherries because I love 'em.
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup glace cherries
- 1⁄2 cup mixed peel (Washed to remove syrup)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups white lily self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 unbeaten egg white
- Place fruits, spices and water into a large saucepan and heat till simmering.
- Simmer for about 3-4 minutes and then remove from heat, allow to cool for about 30 minutes but not to get cold.
- Add flour, milk and egg white (in the saucepan is fine) and mix well.
- Line a medium caketin with baking paper and pour in mix.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for 45 minutes.
Did you ever actually READ the Pritikin books? Putting butter on it, adding glace cherries and adding concentrated sugar in the form of fruit juice completely negates the whole idea of Pritikin. Please call you cake ''Another let's all get fat together American cake''.<br/>Pritikin it isn't !!!!!!!