Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Mexican cornbread pie recipe. This came from a recipe i got from a friend and adapted it to make it easier and just as good. I have use mexican cornbread mix and other cornbread mixes but i like Jiffy best.
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes Jiffy cornbread mix, mixed as package directions in separte bowls
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jar picante sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mexican cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- additional salsa or taco sauce or sour cream, as desired
- Spray 13" by 9" pan with non stick spray. Mix browned, drained ground beef with picanta sauce and set aside.
- I have also added a package of Taco Seasoning mix in with the Salsa and it was even better. If meat seems alittle dry add a small amount of water and heat till desired thickness.
- Mix 1 package of corn bread mix as package directs and spread in bottom of prepared pan.
- Top with ground beef mixture.
- Top ground beef with shredded cheese.
- Mix second box of cornbread as package directs and spread on top of cheese.
- Bake in 400 degree oven about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Note: You can spread sour cream, additional salsa or taco sauce on servings as served. Makes 16 servings, depending on size of serving.
I cooked this simply because the name of the recipe intigued me-and then when I saw the ingredients, I knew my family would love it-and boy did they! I used Martha White mexican cornbread mix-good stuff! I probably had more than 2 lbs of ground beef, so mine was drier than it should've been, but it didn't stop everyone from inhaling it. We simply served it topped with salsa and sour cream as suggested. It makes a huge pan, we ate several meals from it. I should've looked at the servings, I probably would've halved the recipe, but no worries, it reheated wonderfully. Thanks for a good easy dinner.