This chile is spicy and hot, and can be used to fill burritos. Notice this is "CHILE" which usually means southwestern style, using chiles, instead of 'chili' which is used back east.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef brisket or 2 lbs flank steaks, cubed
- 2 lbs lean pork roast, cubed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons red chili powder or 4 tablespoons green chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin or 1 1/2 teaspoons comino
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups beef broth or 4 cups beer
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 lemons or 1/2 lime, juice of
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped onion
- sour cream
- 1Brown the meat and onions and garlic in the oil in a stockpot.
- 2Add all but cornmeal, lime, cheese, chopped onions, and sour cream.
- 3Simmer over low for 3-6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 4Take off heat and refrigerate without eating.
- 5In morning, scrape fat off top and put back on stove.
- 6Sprinkle on the cornmeal; stir.
- 7Add in lime.
- 8Allow to simmer and thicken slightly.
- 9Serve with a cold beer.
- 10Use the cheddar, onino, and sour cream for garnish.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prison Chile
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.1
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 103.0 mg
- Sodium 898.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 31.0 g