Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Direct from Canada's P.E.I. to you. This will make 4 9inch pies. Can be frozen before baking.
Make and share this Prince Edward Island's Acadian Meat Pie Filling recipe from Food.com.
- one 5 lb. chicken
- 1360.77 g pork, already cooked and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 14.79 ml summer savory
- 14.79 ml coriander seed
- 29.58-44.37 ml butter
- 29.58-44.37 ml flour
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1419.54 ml flour
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml salt
- 340.19 g lard
- 473.18 ml milk (approximately, enough to make dough soft)
- Boil chicken whole, in just enough liquid to cover. De-bone and cut into cubes saving 2 cups of the cooking broth. Set aside.
- Make the gravy by mixing the butter and flour together over a med heat. Add the broth along with the crushed bouillon whisking until smooth and thickened.
- Mix all together; add chopped onion, spices, salt and pepper. Divide into four.
- Make the crust dough. Roll out and make four 9-inch pie shells (double). Line pie plates; add meat mixture and gravy; add top crust and bake at 350 degrees for 50 mins or until golden brown.
- Makes four 9" pies.