Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Direct from Canada's P.E.I. to you. This will make 4 9inch pies. Can be frozen before baking.
Make and share this Prince Edward Island's Acadian Meat Pie Filling recipe from Food.com.
- one 5 lb. chicken
- 3 lbs pork, already cooked and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon summer savory
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 lb lard
- 2 cups milk (approximately, enough to make dough soft)
- Boil chicken whole, in just enough liquid to cover. De-bone and cut into cubes saving 2 cups of the cooking broth. Set aside.
- Make the gravy by mixing the butter and flour together over a med heat. Add the broth along with the crushed bouillon whisking until smooth and thickened.
- Mix all together; add chopped onion, spices, salt and pepper. Divide into four.
- Make the crust dough. Roll out and make four 9-inch pie shells (double). Line pie plates; add meat mixture and gravy; add top crust and bake at 350 degrees for 50 mins or until golden brown.
- Makes four 9" pies.