Recipe by Vicki Q
A labor of love, but oh so worth it. Fortify yourself with a glass of wine or two or three while you prepare this, and you will soon forget about all the work you put into it. Rich and meaty, with lots of flavor surprises coming from the variety of ingredients included in this delight. Is there a better outta this world make-ahead sauce for all your favorite pasta dishes? Fuhget aboud it!
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 lb beef steak
- 2 lbs pork spareribs (1/2 rack)
- 2 lbs Italian sausage (10 links)
- 8 ounces carrots, minced
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces pancetta, minced
- 3 ounces prosciutto, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, minced
- 2 lbs frozen meatballs, unthawed
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, chopped, with brine
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (106 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups red wine, fruity
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large roasting pan, heat 1 tbs. of the olive oil and brown over medium high heat pork spareribs. When well browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add beef short ribs and beef steak to pan and brown well over medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside with spareribs.
- Add sausage links to pan and brown well over medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside with other meats.
- To roasting pan drippings add 2 tbs. of olive oil and saute over medium heat until tender carrot, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and onion.
- To sauted vegetables add beef broth, red wine, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, and stir well.
- Add to pan black olives with brine, prosciutto, pancetta, sundried tomato and all browned meats.
- Simmer covered for 3 hours over low heat.
- Remove ribs and steak from sauce. Discard bones and shred, slice and dice meat. Add meats back to sauce.
- Remove sausage from sauce, slice, and return to sauce.
- Add to sauce parsley, oregano, rosemary, and meatballs. Continue to simmer sauce covered for 1 hour.
- For each serving, toss 1 cup of sauce with pasta of your choice, sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan or asiago cheese, and enjoy.