Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
My DH and I seldom got to go out to dinner alone while our 3 daughters were growing up. When we did, we made a bee-line for Cask N Cleaver and ordered their Prime Rib Sandwiches. Costco sells a great pre-cooked prime rib or you can cook you own as I do, with the seasonings you prefer. I am partial to a line of spices and seasonings from Penzeys Spices and swear by their Prime Rib Seasoning.
- 4 lbs prime rib roast
- 1 (1 ounce) package au jus mix
- 2 loaves sourdough bread, sliced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 lb butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup horseradish
- Roast and cool the Prime Rib. Use an electric meat slicer to slice the prime rib roast into very thin slices.
- Mix Au jus to package directions (I like Lawry's).
- Grate Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese or buy pre-grated.
- Place garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse several times. Add butter and pulse until blended. There will be small pieces of garlic in the mixture.
- Heat a skillet or electric griddle.
- Spread garlic butter on both sides of 2 pieces of bread and toast one side.
- Flip both pieces of bread, and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- When bottom is toasted, flip bread again, to toast Parmesan to bread. Top with a layer of prime rib and a layer of Swiss cheese.
- Place one slice of bread on top, (Parmesan should be on the outside of the sandwich) and flip so Swiss cheese is on the bottom and heat until melted.
- Cut sandwich on the diagonal. Serve with warm Aujus and a bit of horseradish on the side.