Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is flavorful and impressive for a holiday dinner or entertaining guests. It takes a little time to prep but isn't difficult, and once in the oven it is no-fuss whatsoever; relax and enjoy hanging out with your guests! I clipped it out of USA Weekend magazine a few years ago and have prepared it to rave reviews for family gatherings. It smells amazing while it cooks and the flavor is well worth waiting for.
- 5 lbs boneless rib-eye roast, leave at room temp. 2 hrs. before cooking
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, minced
- 20 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced (2 10-oz. packages)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tsp. water
- Heat oven to 250 degrees and heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Rub roast on all sides with oil, salt & pepper. Add roast to hot skillet & brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer roast to a plate. When cool enough to handle, rub garlic & rosemary all over.
- Meanwhile, pour off all but 2 T of the beef drippings. Add mushrooms & saute' until well browned, about 8 minutes. Mix broth, wine & mustard; add to mushrooms & simmer to blend flavors & reduce slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour mushroom sauce into a bowl & set aside.
- Set a wire rack over the skillet, set roast on rack (or use a regular roasting pan with a V-rack). Slow roast in oven 2-1/2 to 3 hours until meat reaches an internal temp of 135 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium.
- Transfer roast to cutting board and remove rack from skillet. Pour off excess fat, if any. Set skillet over medium-high heat, return mushroom sauce to pan & heat to a simmer. Add cornstarch and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about a minute. Carve meat & serve with the sauce.
This was delicous. I made it the day before then put in crockpot on high for 4 hours to reheat and take to Thanksgiving an hour away. It was still tender and warm and received lots of mmm good raves.