2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Step-by-step directions for perfect selection, preparation, and carving of this succulent and tender cut of beef. Prime rib is the king of roasts, it's simply the best there is, and worth every penny. Recipe by Jane Yagoda Goodman in Ladies Home Journal magazine; minor changes made by me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 1/2 lbs beef rib roast, 4-ribs, chine bone removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Zesty Horseradish Cream
- 1To select your roast:.
- 2Selecting the proper grade is essential; Look for a USDA choice grade rib roast or a brand name rib roast (such as "Certified Angus") in the supermarket meat case; or ask your butcher to specify the "small end" of the rib roast - the most tender part.
- 3Preparation of Rib Roast:.
- 4Arrange oven rack in lower third of oven; Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 5Trim beef rib roast of excess fat, leaving a thin layer.
- 6Rub the roast with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- 7Arrange roast, rib bones down, in a shallow roasting pan; (Do not add water or cover pan); insert an oven-safe meat thermometer in thickest part of the roast, not resting in fat or touching the bone (this will stay in the entire roasting time).
- 8Roast 2 hours 15 minutes, or until the meat thermometer's temperature reaches 130 degress F.
- 9Transfer roast to a carving board, and tent loosely with foil; let stand 15 minutes (temperature will continue to rise to reach 135 degrees F).
- 10Zesty Horseradish Cream:.
- 11While roast is resting combine all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until serving time.
- 12To Carve Your Roast:.
- 13To begin, place the roast on it's larger side on a cutting board, the bones will be towards your stomach; You may need to trim the bottom side (the one that is now resting on the cutting board) to ensure that it lies flat on the cutting board.
- 14To carve the first slice, insert a meat fork, tines facing downwards, below the top rib bone, in front of your stomach; make a horizontal cut from the opposite side towards your stomach/fork/bone (across the top).
- 15Now cut along the rib bone, from the top (not the rib bone side), to release the meat from the bone.
- 16Slide the knife back under the slice, steady it with the fork, and lift it onto your serving platter.
- 17Repeat for each slice, and serve with a dollop of horseradish cream.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prime Rib Roast W/ Horseradish Cream
Serving Size: 1 (35 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2727.1
- Calories from Fat 2119
- Total Fat 235.5 g
- Saturated Fat 98.4 g
- Cholesterol 616.5 mg
- Sodium 912.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 140.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef rib roast
white balsamic vinegar