Recipe by Shawn C
A Christmas dinner tradition in my family accompanied with twice baked potatoes, rolls, green beans, fruit and great desserts! And the left overs are even better. Find roasts on sale?--have butcher give you the twine and place the seasonings on the roast, tie and freeze. Will marinate itself while you thaw it.
Top Review by Shawn C
Oh and for a additional meal with the leftovers try it blackened style! Use paul prodome's blackend redfish magic, a cast iron skillet and a little butter and oh what a meal! served some leftover ajus and your in for a treat!
- 5 lbs standing rib roast
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- thyme leaves
- basil leaves
- marjoram leaves
- Worcestershire sauce
- sliced fresh washed mushroom
- 3 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons basil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons marjoram
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed in
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Have butcher cut ribs away from roast.
- Season entire ROOM TEMPERATURE roast and between roast and ribs with heavy garlic, salt, pepper, marjoram, thyme and basil. Drizzle with Worcestershire.
- START IN EARLY AM (6 OR 7).
- Let rib roast stand for at least 2 hours until room temperature.
- Place meat in iron skillet, fat side up.
- Place in cold oven; turn on to 350° for one hour.
- Turn off oven.
- DO NOT PEEK OR OPEN OVEN AT ALL!
- For rare meat, turn oven back on at 350° 1 hour before you want to serve for 20 minutes, leave in oven for remaining time.
- Med Rare- 1 hour before serving turn on for 30 minutes, leave in oven for 30 minutes Well- 1 hour before serving turn on for 40 minutes, leave in oven for 20 minutes Gravy: Remove meat from skillet.
- Put all gravy ingredients into skillet except cornstarch and water.
- Scrape bottom of skillet to remove bits from pan.
- When mushrooms are done, add cornstarch mixture 1/4 cup at a time and allow to thicken to desired consistency.