1/3 Photos of Prime Rib (Foolproof ) With Au Jus Gravy
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Shawn C's Note:
A Christmas dinner tradition in my family accompanied with twice baked potatoes, rolls, green beans, fruit and great desserts! And the left overs are even better. Find roasts on sale?--have butcher give you the twine and place the seasonings on the roast, tie and freeze. Will marinate itself while you thaw it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs standing rib roast
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- thyme leaves
- basil leaves
- marjoram leaves
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1Have butcher cut ribs away from roast.
- 2Season entire ROOM TEMPERATURE roast and between roast and ribs with heavy garlic, salt, pepper, marjoram, thyme and basil. Drizzle with Worcestershire.
- 3START IN EARLY AM (6 OR 7).
- 4Let rib roast stand for at least 2 hours until room temperature.
- 5Place meat in iron skillet, fat side up.
- 6Place in cold oven; turn on to 350° for one hour.
- 7Turn off oven.
- 8DO NOT PEEK OR OPEN OVEN AT ALL!
- 9For rare meat, turn oven back on at 350° 1 hour before you want to serve for 20 minutes, leave in oven for remaining time.
- 10Med Rare- 1 hour before serving turn on for 30 minutes, leave in oven for 30 minutes Well- 1 hour before serving turn on for 40 minutes, leave in oven for 20 minutes Gravy: Remove meat from skillet.
- 11Put all gravy ingredients into skillet except cornstarch and water.
- 12Scrape bottom of skillet to remove bits from pan.
- 13When mushrooms are done, add cornstarch mixture 1/4 cup at a time and allow to thicken to desired consistency.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prime Rib (Foolproof ) With Au Jus Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 15.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 516.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
standing rib roast