Recipe by 1hotpotato
My wife got this recipe from her aunt. This has to be one of the best ways to cook a prime rib. We have always used a 10 to 12 pound prime rib roast and it comes out perfect everytime. The trick is to not open the oven at all. We literally tape the oven closed so the kids won't accidentally peak in on the roast.
- 12 lbs prime rib roast
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Allow roast to sit at room temp for an hour.
- Rinse off the roast and pat it dry.
- Rub olive oil and minced/crushed garlic over the entire roast.
- Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 375.
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN.
- Turn off the oven.
- Keep roast in the oven for 4 hours. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN.
- After the 4 hours, turn the oven back on to 375 and cook for an additional 30 minutes for rare-medium rare.