2 hrs 20 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This marvelous recipe appeared in our local paper and came from Ron Shewchuk's Cookbook, Planking Secrets. It is extremely important not to overcook a superb roast such as this one. Use a good meat thermometer to check the internal temperture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
dry rub seasonings
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1In a bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, coarse black pepper, dried rosemary and cayenne pepper; mix well.
- 2Take the roast out of the fridge at least one hour prior to cooking so that the roast adjusts to room temperature.
- 3Season roast on all sides with Kosher salt.
- 4Coat the roast with Dijon mustard.
- 5Sprinkle the chopped rosemary evenly over the roast.
- 6Now sprinkle the entire roast generously with the dry rub mixture.
- 7Drizzle olive oil over the entire roast, use more olive oil if necessary.
- 8Pat the oil, rosemary and dry rub into the roast.
- 9Preheat the barbecue grill on medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until the chamber reaches 500°F.
- 10The cedar plank should be at least 3/4 inch thick, 7 1/2 inches wide and 16 inches long.
- 11Rinse the cedar plank and place it directly on the grill.
- 12Cover the grill and heat the cedar plank for about 4 minutes or until it starts to throw off a bit of smoke and crackles lightly.
- 13Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- 14Lay the rosemary twigs across the plank to make a bed for the roast.
- 15Place the roast on the rosemary and cover the grill.
- 16Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the core of the roast reaches an internal temperature of 125°F.
- 17Keep testing the internal temperature with a good barbecue meat thermometer.
- 18When the roast reaches the desired temperature, remove from the grill along with the cedar plank.
- 19Tent loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for a least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- 20The long resting period gives you plenty of time to grill some veggies.
- 21Serve some good freshly made horseradish with the prime rib roast.
- 22NOTE: Purchase a cedar plank at your lumber yard outlet. Make sure that it is NOT TREATED.
- 23The cost of the plank is much less expensive when you purchase at the lumber yard.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prime Rib Cedar Plank Roasted
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1105.4
- Calories from Fat 901
- Total Fat 100.2 g
- Saturated Fat 39.8 g
- Cholesterol 206.9 mg
- Sodium 1086.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 45.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: