Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Prime rib leftovers? Here's a new spin on a classic prime rib sandwich.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12 ounce) package monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 lbs prime rib roast
- 1 (8 ounce) container French onion dip
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
For the Au Jus
- 1 (16 ounce) jug store bought au jus sauce
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- onion soup mix
- In a large saucepan, mix together the Au Jus sauce, using all ingredients to taste. (I keep onion soup mix in an old spice jar to use as a seasoning) I start with 8 oz. of water, 2 teaspoons pepper, 1 tsp Worcestershire, 8 oz. Au Jus, 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp of onion soup mix and a dash of cayenne. Simmer.
- In a skillet, melt butter then combine chopped green peppers, onions and mushrooms with black pepper. Add soy sauce and Worcestershire. Sauté on medium heat until veggies are tender crisp.
- Slice the leftover prime rib so that it is at a 1/2 inch (or less) thickness, then set in the simmering Au Jus.
- Cut French bread diagonally, toast pieces in toaster.
- Spread french onion dip on both pieces (top and bottom).
- Layer on prime rib from Au Jus.
- Put sauteed mushroom, onion, green peppers on top of meat.
- Cover with pepper jack cheese.
- Broil sandwich open-faced for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is slightly golden.
- Serve with small bowl of Au Jus for dipping.
Now this is one of my favorites sandwiches! I am more excited for the leftovers than the prime rib...