Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
We have made prime rib for Christmas Eve dinner for years. I found this marinade in a magazine a long time ago and decided to try it. While looking through the Recipezaar site, I discovered an even better method of cooking it thanks to Pat and others! My family looks forward to this meal all year long! We hope you enjoy it, too.
- 4 -6 lbs prime rib roast
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red wine (burgundy works well)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Mix together marinade and pour over meat in a shallow pan, dish, or bag. Refrigerate for 6-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Before cooking, discard marinade and let meat sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Insert meat thermometer (don't touch bone) and cook for 1 hour, fat side up.
- Turn off oven and keep meat in oven for 4 hours.
- DO NOT OPEN OVEN AT ANY TIME DURING COOKING PROCESS!
- 1 hour before serving, turn oven back on to 375 degrees and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven--thermometer should read 140-150 degrees for rare to medium rare.
- Let meat sit for 15 minutes before carving.
- This cooking method works with any size roast, but marinade should be increased for larger roasts.