Prep 1 hr
Cook 13 hrs
I really don't remember exactly where this recipe originated.
- rib roast (any size)
- fresh ground pepper
- garlic salt
- Remove roast from refrigerator and let stay at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sprinkle roast all over with garlic salt and pepper and place in pan bone side down.
- Place in oven for 1 hour.
- DO NOT OPEN OVEN.
- Turn off oven and let roast sit for at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours.
- DO NOT OPEN OVEN FOR ANY REASON.
- One hour before serving turn oven back on (to 375) for 45 minutes.
- Remove roast and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- I know this sounds strange, but no matter what the size of the roast it will be perfectly medium rare with a crunchy crust.
- If you want it more well done, just increase final cooking time.
- Great for busy days and eliminates panic when guests are late.
- No more overcooked dinner.
A word of advice is to NEVER leave meat in an oven for 4 to 8 hrs. with the heat off... Bacteria starts building on anything sitting out (even in the oven) after 2 hrs., and you can get VERY SICK!
Interesting recipe. I followed it to the letter. The roast I had was small (About 2 lbs) and I though it came out too well done. It had the texture of a crock pot roast rather than a rare cooked roast. Will try it again with a larger and less expensive cut of meat. Hope you post more recipies.
I have done it this way for YEARS! It IS always perfect! And, if you have someone in your family who is habitually late their tardiness will not ruin the meal! Just turn it back on when they walk through the door! And no, I do not worry about leaving the meat in the WARM oven for 4-8 hours. It is simply cooking at a very low temp....that is why you don't open the oven door.