Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This comes out perfect each time I've made it. The high temp at the start seals in all those wonderful juices and when its time to slice the roast, you won't believe all the juices. Very moist and tasty. Use your own spice blend but this is how I make it.
- Start with a room temperature roast and a preheated oven @ 500 degrees F. Your oven rack should be set to the second from the bottom.
- With the tip of your knife, poke enough holes in the roast to insert your sliced garlic cloves.
- Rub the spices all over the roast.
- Place your roast on a grate in your roasting pan, uncovered, and place in the 500 degree F. oven following the formula for doneness.
- Formula: 6 minutes per pound for medium; 5 minutes per pound for medium rare; 4 minutes per pound for rare.
- After the alloted time you choose for doneness, turn the oven off and do not open the door. After 2 hours has passed, take the roast out and tent with foil for 10 to 20 minutes then slice.
First tried this in August 2010. This recipe is amazing. The key to it is holding in the oven for 2 hours after turned off. I actually roasted it on my Weber - but had my kitchen Wolf oven heated up to 500, then I turned the Wolf off, transferred the roast from the Weber to the inside oven and let set for 2 hours. It was so fantastic we served 10 at Christmas dinner! Thank you Zeph's Wife.
This is an excellent recipe. It was quick and easy to follow with amazing results. The roast was perfect, tender, juicy and flavorful. Thanks for sharing your recipe that I will make again and again.
I've done this many times DO NOT Open the oven!!! It's Wonderful