For those of us doing the low carb thing, sometimes we just get the craving for pizza. Since low carb baking mixes are filled with junk and soy, those are out of the question. This recipe fits the bill though. I follow the Primal Blueprint where fat, protein, veggies and fruit are good and grains and starches are out! This was featured on marksdailyapple.com and submitted by "Son of Grok." Put whatever toppings you want on this pizza!
- 2 cups almond meal or 2 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 -2 cup water (To desired thickness)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- chicken (optional)
- bacon (optional)
- bell pepper (optional)
- onion (optional)
- Crust: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. This should give you a ball of “dough”. If your dough is too “mushy” (like mine was), continue to add almond flour until you get a good consistency.
- Make a pizza sheet or baking tray non-stick. This is VERY important if you want your pizza slices to come off in one piece.
- Press your dough on the sheet nice and even about 1/4 inch in the middle and 1/2 inch at the edges.
- Put crust in the oven for 15 minutes. It should look slightly golden brown when you take it out.
- Sauce: In a saucepan, combine all ingredients. Use water to desired thickness. We like ours pretty thick. Feel free to add more spice if you want it, too.
- Simmer on stove for approximately 15 minutes.
- Toppings: You will want to pre-cook any meat going on your pizza. Veggies can go on fresh and raw, or cooked depending on your preference. Your favorite cheese will do, but I recommend the 50/50 mix of mozzarella and swiss that we used. It melted perfectly and tasted great!
- Put it all together: After crust comes out of the oven, spread sauce evenly over crust.
- Add your cheese and toppings evenly on top of sauce.
- Put back in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 more minutes. Cheese should be evenly melted.
- Slice and enjoy!