Recipe by Dib's
You can thank The Complete Ball Book of Home Preserving for this recipe. You will need 9 to 10 medium prickly pears for this recipe.
- 3 cups oranges, chopped and seeded
- 1 cup lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups prickly pears, chopped and seeded
- 6 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Do NOT peel your oranges or lemons. (small chop on oranges).
- Do wash them well to remove any wax and pesticides.
- In a large stainless steel saucepan combine the oranges, lemons and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium high and gently boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and place in a cool spot for 12 to 18 hours.
- When ready prepare canner, jars and lids.
- Bring orange mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil, stirring frequently until peel is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in prickly pears, return to a gentle boil.
- Maintaining boil gradually stir in the sugar.
- Boil hard, stirring often until mixture reaches gel stage, around 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and test gel.
- If gel stage has been reached skim off foam and ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles, wipe rim, center lid and screw band down to fingertip tight.
- Place in canner-repeat with remaining jars.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let jars stand in canner an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove jars, cool and store.