You can thank The Complete Ball Book of Home Preserving for this recipe. You will need 9 to 10 medium prickly pears for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Do NOT peel your oranges or lemons. (small chop on oranges).
- 2Do wash them well to remove any wax and pesticides.
- 3In a large stainless steel saucepan combine the oranges, lemons and water.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium high and gently boil for 5 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat, cover and place in a cool spot for 12 to 18 hours.
- 6When ready prepare canner, jars and lids.
- 7Bring orange mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- 8Boil, stirring frequently until peel is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 9Stir in prickly pears, return to a gentle boil.
- 10Maintaining boil gradually stir in the sugar.
- 11Boil hard, stirring often until mixture reaches gel stage, around 30 minutes.
- 12Remove from heat and test gel.
- 13If gel stage has been reached skim off foam and ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- 14Remove air bubbles, wipe rim, center lid and screw band down to fingertip tight.
- 15Place in canner-repeat with remaining jars.
- 16Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.
- 17Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let jars stand in canner an additional 5 minutes.
- 18Remove jars, cool and store.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prickly Pear Marmalade
Serving Size: 1 (2900 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 699.6
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 180.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 178.4 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: