Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the most requested recipe from my family and co workers especially around Thanksgiving. This buttercream filled pumpkin cake roll disappears in minutes whenever I make it.
- 9 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups extra finely granulated sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 (8 ounce) packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light yellow.
- Add the remainder of the cake ingredients, except nuts.
- Blend on medium speed for 1 minute, then scrape the sides of the bowl and blend another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in chopped nuts.
- Cover and place bowl in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile,in another large mixer bowl,cream softened cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Gradually incorporate powdered sugar and then add vanilla and blend well.
- Cover and store butter cream mixture in refrigerator until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease or spray a jelly roll pan or lipped baking sheet.
- Remove cake mixture from refrigerator and spread one-third.
- of the mixture into a rectangular shape about 11 inches by 14 inches.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until the edges of the cake start to brown.
- Remove from oven and loosen from pan with a spatula or wide turner.
- Place waxed paper over cake and place tea towel on top of waxed paper.
- Flip cake onto waxed paper and carefully remove baking pan.
- Roll cake from longest side with tea towel and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, repeat cake baking steps twice more.
- After twenty minutes, unroll warm cake and spread with one-third of buttercream mixture.
- Re-roll cake; wrap in waxed paper or foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until served.
- Repeat filling remaining 2 baked cakes.
- Yield: 3 cake rolls.
- Servings each cake roll serves 8-10.
- Notes: Cinnamon can be substituted for pumpkin pie spice.
- Walnuts can be substituted for pecans.
- Neufchatel cheese can be substituted for all or part of cream cheese but the filling will be softer.
- The pumpkin log can be frozen for up to 2 weeks.
broke the mouth!! yumm.... yumm