Posted in response to a request for a recipe for hard pretzels. EDITED TO ADD: After seeing Marlene's photo and reading her review, I just had to try this recipe immediately. Made soft preztels w/ my granddaughter this morning and they were both easy and good. From start to finish, it didn't take very long at all. A great project to do w/ kids!
- SOFT PRETZELS:
- Dissolve yeast in water, add salt and sugar.
- Blend in all the flour and knead until smooth.
- When smooth, cut dough into small pieces and roll into ropes. Twist ropes into conventional pretzel shapes and place on a paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush pretzels with beaten egg, sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, or until brown. These do not keep long.
- HARD PRETZELS:
- Do everthing above, but decrease water to 1-1/4 cups and add 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- Make pretzels smaller and bake until browned.
- These pretzels will stay good for months in a tight container.