Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found this in a magazine. I have heard how wonderful pretzels and strawberries (and cream cheese)taste together. Havent tried this yet
- 2 cups finely crushed pretzels
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) packagejello strawberry gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 quart strawberry, sliced
- Preheat oven 350. Mix pretzels, 1/4 cup sugar and the melted butter. Press firmly onto bottom of 13x9 pan. Bake 10 minute COOL.
- Beat cream cheese, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and milk until well blended. Gently stir in cool whip. Spread over crust. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, stir boiling water into dry gelatin mix in large bowl at least 2 minute until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate 1½ hours or until thickened (spoon drawn through leaves definite impression). Stir in strawberries. Spoon over cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Cut into 20 squares. Store left overs in frig.
The directions didn't say what to do with the 1 1/2 cups cold water, so I dissolved the gelatin in the hot water, then added the cold water and chilled the mixture until thickened, as I think part of this direction was lost and that's what I recalled doing from a different recipe. Otherwise it was great.
I have eaten this many times at parties and dinners. I adapted mine using sugar free, low fat, fat free items with splenda as the sugar. I do not have an idea how many calories I saved, but it was enough to have a second helping! :-)) The years I have been a diabetic I take food(s) to parties. If you never tell them, they won't know.
My mom has been making this for about 8 years now and it's a wonderful dish. Very yummy and always a hit. The pretzels will get a little mushy after a day or two, so eat it up quickly.