1/2 Photos of Pretzel-Shortbread Bars
1 hr 44 mins
1 hr 19 mins
Bring on pretzel power by making this variation from Martha Stewart Oct. 2011. "Half cookie, half pretzel hybrid. Broken pretzels are worked into the dough. Finely ground crumbs go into the flour mixture, and bigger pieces stud the inside and top layer of the bars." Posting for safe keeping. Think it would be nice on appetizer assortment. Reviewers say dough is bit crumbly, so added vanilla and more butter. Easy to bake too long so need to be careful and if you use a 9 X 9 inch pan the reviews there say the bars are too THIN. They specify twisted salted miniature pretzels, but aren't all pretzels salted? And think the shape would not matter except for appearances. This shortbread can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 week. Time includes 1 hour cooling time. Another use for leftover pretzels.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Line an 8 X 8 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- 3Pulse 1 3/4 cups pretzels in a food processor until POWDERY, transfer 1/2 cup to a bowl, DISCARD any remaining pretzel powder.
- 4Stir in flour and baking powder, set aside for Step 7.
- 5Transfer REMAINING 1 1/2 cups of pretzels to food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely CHOPPED.
- 6Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 7Reduce speed to low, and beat in egg yolk, then pretzel-flour mixture, until combined.
- 8Using spoon mix in 1/2 cup of the coarsely chopped pretzels.
- 9Press dough evenly into pan.
- 10Top dough with 1/4 cup of the coarsely chopped pretzels, pressing slightly; discard any remaining pretzels.
- 11Bake shortbread until pale brown and firm in the center -about 25 minutes, maybe 30.
- 12Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let shortbread cool for 1 hour.
- 13Remove shortbread from pan, and cut into 1/2 inch rectangles using a serrated knife.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pretzel-Shortbread Bars
Serving Size: 1 (12 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 46.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: