1/1 Photo of Pretzel Sandwich Buns
"Soft pretzels are always a favorite. We've discovered that their distinctive texture and flavor also complements many varieties of sandwich fillings. In particular, we like these buns with a generous scoop of maple-mustard chicken salad." From King Arthur. Total time is about 2 hrs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1Mix and knead the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a smooth, slightly sticky dough.
- 2Allow the dough to rise in a lightly greased bowl, covered, for about 1 hour, until doubled. Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.
- 3Divide the dough into 10 pieces and shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place the balls on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 4Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 5Prepare the water bath: Bring the water, salt, and baking soda to a boil in a large pot.
- 6Drop 5 dough balls at a time into the water bath.
- 7Cook for 30 seconds, flip over, and cook for 30 seconds longer. Using a slotted spoon, return the buns to the baking sheet.
- 8Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut 1/2"-deep crosses into the center of each bun. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- 9Bake the buns for 20 to 24 minutes, or until they're a deep-dark brown. Remove them from the oven, and transfer to a rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pretzel Sandwich Buns
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.5
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 6.7 mg
- Sodium 2429.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.2 g