Recipe by Annacia
"Soft pretzels are always a favorite. We've discovered that their distinctive texture and flavor also complements many varieties of sandwich fillings. In particular, we like these buns with a generous scoop of maple-mustard chicken salad." From King Arthur. Total time is about 2 hrs.
- 1 3⁄4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- coarse sea salt
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix and knead the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a smooth, slightly sticky dough.
- Allow the dough to rise in a lightly greased bowl, covered, for about 1 hour, until doubled. Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place the balls on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the water bath: Bring the water, salt, and baking soda to a boil in a large pot.
- Drop 5 dough balls at a time into the water bath.
- Cook for 30 seconds, flip over, and cook for 30 seconds longer. Using a slotted spoon, return the buns to the baking sheet.
- Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut 1/2"-deep crosses into the center of each bun. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake the buns for 20 to 24 minutes, or until they're a deep-dark brown. Remove them from the oven, and transfer to a rack to cool.