Recipe by Sydney Mike
Although I've tweaked the original of this recipe, I first found it in the Dec/Jan 2010 issue of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking.
Top Review by Arturo62
Despite high hopes for the interesting combination of ingredients, this recipe fell flat. I have made other, more simple recipes of pretzel crusted chicken that were much better received. The breading's flavor was bland, the sauce was the only bright spot. I used tenderloins instead of breasts, cutting the cooking time almost in half (you can also cut breasts in half horizontally to greatly reduce total cooking time)<br/><br/>KateL's suggestion for the sauce ratios was very helpful, but my guests thought it was a bit sweet so I modified it slightly to change the balance (2 Tbsp preserves, 1-1/2 tsp honey, 2 Tbsp mustard)
- 4 cups miniature pretzels
- 1⁄3 cup hormel real bacon bits
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes, dried
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider (or sparkling cider)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, & then coat the inside of a 13"x9" glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, place pretzels, bacon, cheese & parsley, then cover & process until coarsely chopped, before transferring to a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, cider, flour & spices.
- Dip chicken breasts in the cider mixture, then in the pretzel mixture before placing the breasts in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Great served with a mix of honey Dijon mustard & apricot preserves.