1/1 Photo of Pretzel Crusted Chicken Breast With Cheddar Cheesy Mustard Sauce
This is NOT a Jessica Simpson recipe (she merely put it togehter... thanks houseblend for the advice...), but I love Jessica Simpson and trust her taste! It's gotta be easy if she can do it! She showed Rachael Ray (who owns the copyright to the recipe) how to put this dish together on Rachael's new show. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure I will in the next couple of weeks or so, then I will revise this description. Enjoy:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 quart-sized ziploc bags
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (5 ounce) bag salted pretzels, any shape
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, a generous handful, chopped
- 1/4 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large sour dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges (garnish)
- 1Preheat a large non-stick skillet with a 1/4-inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Sprinkle a little water into four medium food storage baggies. Place 1 chicken breast in each bag and seal it up, pushing out excess air. Use the bottom of a heavy pot or pan and pound each breast until flat, just shy of busting out of the bag. Repeat with the other 3 chicken breasts.
- 3Place the pretzels in a food processor or blender and grind until fine. Transfer the ground pretzels to a shallow dish, add the thyme and some salt and pepper.
- 4Crack and beat 2 eggs in a second shallow dish with a splash of water.
- 5One at a time, coat each chicken breast in the egg and then the ground pretzels.
- 6Add the pretzel-coated chicken breast to the hot oil. Cook in a single layer, in 2 batches if necessary, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until the juices run clear and breading is evenly browned.
- 7While the chicken is frying, in a medium saucepot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour to it.
- 8Cook flour and butter for 1 minute and then whisk in the milk.
- 9When the milk comes to a bubble, stir in the cheese and mustard with a wooden spoon.
- 10Season with a little salt and pepper, and remove cheese sauce from the heat.
- 11Transfer the fried pretzel-crusted chicken breast to a serving plate, drizzle with the mustard cheddar sauce, then sprinkle with a little parsley, finely chopped onion and sour dill pickle.
- 12Serve lemon wedges alongside.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pretzel Crusted Chicken Breast With Cheddar Cheesy Mustard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 802.3
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 295.8 mg
- Sodium 1312.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 60.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sour dill pickles