Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe. And, yes, it will take longer than 30 minutes! Skip the cheese sauce and top your favorite green salad with the chicken. Or make with tenders & dip into honey mustard dressing.
- 4 -6 thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 ounces salted pretzels
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Place pretzels in a food processor or blender and grind until fine. Put pretzels into a shallow dish and add the pepper and thyme.
- Crack and beat eggs into a second shallow dish with a splash of water.
- Coat the breasts in the pretzel mixture, then in the eggs, then in the pretzels again.
- Preheat a large skillet with 1/4 inch of vegetable oil. Cook the chicken in the oil in a single layer 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until the juices run clear and the breading is browned.
- While the chicken is frying melt butter in a medium sauce pan and add the flour. Cook for 1 minute then wisk in the milk. When the milk comes to a bubble, stir in the cheeses and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top chicken with cheese sauce and serve immediately.