Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
When shaped into a pretzel, it's a fun way to make sandwiches for a sports day!
Make and share this Pretzel Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 3⁄4-4 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse salt
- In a 2 quart or larger pan stir together beer, cornmeal and molasses.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, remove and cool to 110*.
- In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm water and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in beer mixture, oil, table salt and rye flour until well blended.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour until smooth.
- Knead bread until smooth and elastic, around 15 minutes, a dough hook around 10.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to cover with oil, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, turn out onto a floured board and knead for a few turns to release the air.
- At this point you can shape into rolls, or a loaf, 1 large or 2 small, or shape into a pretzel shape for sandwiches later.
- Which ever you do, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until puffy, around 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic, brush top with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- For bread and Pretzel shaped bread bake at 350* for about 30 minutes, rolls 15 to 20.
- Cool on a rack.