I came across these on a blog, and they look sooooo good, I'm posting the recipe here for safekeeping. You can find the step by step photos on how to make them at sweetpeas kitchen. She got them from Lizzy Goes Dutch. I haven't made these yet, and will update when I have. Think combos, and try these with nacho cheese, cheese with a touch of salsa. Next I may try peanut butter instead of cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar plus 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F)
- 2 1/2-3 cups flour
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar is great)
- 6 cups water
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 12 tablespoons coarse salt (sea salt or kosher salt)
- 1Combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer and let rest 5-8 minutes until foamy.
- 2In another bowl, stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and warm milk until dissolved.
- 3Add 2 1/2 cups flour and milk mixture to the yeast. Attach the dough hook and knead dough at low speed until a smooth and elastic ball forms, 5 to 7 minutes(or knead by hand). If dough is sticky, you can add up to an additional 1/2 cup flour.
- 4Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled large bowl and turn it to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- 5Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll one of the four sections into a 12×4 inch rectangle.
- 6With the long side facing you, gently press 1/4 cup of cheese into the bottom third of the dough.
- 7Roll as tightly as possible, starting with the end that has the filling.
- 8Cut into 12 1-inch pieces and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining 3 portions of the dough.
- 9Let rest, uncovered, at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 10In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the baking soda and lower heat to a simmer. Carefully boil pretzels in batches, putting the pretzels into the poaching liquid, seam side down.
- 11Poach for 10 seconds then carefully turn the pretzel over in the liquid. Poach the other side for 10 seconds then remove with a slotted spoon to the prepared sheet pans, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- 12Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 13Brush warm pretzel bites with melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Serve warm with honey mustard dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pretzel Bites With Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (2475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2199.3
- Calories from Fat 775
- Total Fat 86.1 g
- Saturated Fat 52.6 g
- Cholesterol 228.6 mg
- Sodium 90030.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 288.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 27.6 g
- Protein 65.4 g