Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
This is so delicious and rather fast, even though the cook time says it takes about an hour. All time really is chopping and prep work. The cooking goes quick after you get all that done. It is great for using up fresh veggies in your drawer that need to go or if you have some serious cravings like me, a quick fix for that. Delicious with any kind of pasta, I like angel hair.
Top Review by Caram
Thank you! Delicious -used red instead of green peppers (green doesn't always play nice w/ me and the flavor was great) and the canned tomatoes were fine. -We'll be having this again....it's made the rotation :)
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (sub. 1 can diced tomatoes, drained if no fresh tomatoes)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the spaghetti as per instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet, fry the chicken seasoned with the Cajun seasoning in 1 tbsp of the oil just until done, stirring frequently. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil and add the onion and pepper; cook covered, about 8-10 minutes until browned. Stir occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and salt, cooking 5 minutes covered. Stir occasionally.
- When the spaghetti is done, turn it off but leave in the water. When the mushrooms are done, drain the spaghetti and reserve 1/2 cup of the water. Place the noodles, water, and the cream back into the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the onion mixture from the skillet. Heat through and remove from heat. Add the chicken with it's juices, the tomatoes and the basil leaves. Toss to mix well.