Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is my favorite pumpkin bread recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups shortening
- 3 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 6 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 (16 ounce) container vanilla frosting (or cream cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 4 bread loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in eggs, pumpkin and water.
- Blend in flour, salt, baking soda and powder, and spices.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups of nuts.
- Bake for 70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Heat frosting until smooth and thick (NOT runny).
- Drizzle liberally over cooled bread; sprinkle top with remaining nuts.