Recipe by *Pixie*
Penne coated in a mellow but colorful chicken sauce with red and green peppers. Add a green side salad or caesar and suppers ready.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
Made for PAC Fall '09. Turned out pretty good! I made a few changes - first, didn't have penne so I just used ww spagetti. Next, boyfriend hates mushrooms with a passion, so instead of mushrooms, I put zucchini, and instead of cream of mush soup, I used cream of celery. And I added a clove of garlic. I couldn't help myself. Delicious!!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes or strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced (the mild kind not the hot kind)
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb penne
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large nonstick pan and cook chicken until done.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in the same pan and add the mushrooms and soya sauce.
- Cook until tender.
- Add the red pepper, green pepper, and green onions to the pan.
- Mix the two soups with the milk until smooth and lump free.
- Add the chicken, black pepper, the soup mixture and cheese to the pan, mix and simmer over a low heat until the veggies are tender and the cheese is melted.
- Cook penne in a large pot lightly salted water until al dente (this can be started about 15 minutes before the chicken sauce is done).
- Drain thoroughly and return to pot.
- Add the chicken sauce mixture and stir to completely coat the pasta.
- Serve, if desired top with a bit of fresh grated parmesan and/or fresh ground pepper.