Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This homemade applesauce has a delicious, clear apple taste accented with a little nutmeg, a nip of lemon, and bit of cranberry juice . Use some of the apple peelings to make the applesauce nice and thick (and remember to dig them out before serving).
- 9 mcintosh apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the apples, reserving the peels of 6 of them.
- Quarter and core the apples.
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil then reduce heat.
- Simmer mixture until apples are soft and you can mash them down into applesauce, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Remove peels from the applesauce and discard them.
- Mash applesauce a bit more if you wish (I like mine a bit chunky), then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If you like, you can make extra applesauce and spoon into sterilized pint jars, seal and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.