In the search for the best pulled pork recipe there were several that I found that were appealing. I combined a couple recipes and added my own flare to make this delicious dish. The recipe is easy enough to include my kids. My 3 year old really enjoyed asking the butcher for some pork butt, while my 4 year old enjoyed applying the rub.
- 1. 6 hours before cooking, mix all ingredients for the rub and apply the rub liberally onto the butt, cover with plastic, and store in the refrigerator.
- 3. Slice one onion and place in crock pot.
- 4. Put in the butt and cover with the other onion, sliced. Pour in the ginger ale. Cover and cook on LOW for about 12 hours, turning once or twice in the process to ensure more even cooking.
- 5. Remove the meat, strain and save the onion and 1/4-1/2 cup of the liquid.
- 6. With latex gloves, pull the pork apart by hand and add it back to the crockpot, discarding any remaining fat, bones, or skin. Most of the fat will have melted away.
- 7. Depending on how dry the pork is in the crock pot, add 1/4-/12 cup of saved liquid to keep the pork most.
- 8. Chop up the saved onion into tiny pieces and add back to the crock pot.
- 9. Stir in the barbeque sauce.
- 10. Continue to cook with the lid on for another 2-4 hours.
- 11. Serve on hamburger buns, topped with more sauce, coleslaw, and sliced pickles.