Prep 6 hrs
Cook 15 hrs
In the search for the best pulled pork recipe there were several that I found that were appealing. I combined a couple recipes and added my own flare to make this delicious dish. The recipe is easy enough to include my kids. My 3 year old really enjoyed asking the butcher for some pork butt, while my 4 year old enjoyed applying the rub.
- 3 -4 lbs pork butt
- 2 large onions
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 16 ounces barbecue sauce (I used 4 oz Famous Dave's Texas Pit and 12 oz Zarda's Original)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1. 6 hours before cooking, mix all ingredients for the rub and apply the rub liberally onto the butt, cover with plastic, and store in the refrigerator.
- 3. Slice one onion and place in crock pot.
- 4. Put in the butt and cover with the other onion, sliced. Pour in the ginger ale. Cover and cook on LOW for about 12 hours, turning once or twice in the process to ensure more even cooking.
- 5. Remove the meat, strain and save the onion and 1/4-1/2 cup of the liquid.
- 6. With latex gloves, pull the pork apart by hand and add it back to the crockpot, discarding any remaining fat, bones, or skin. Most of the fat will have melted away.
- 7. Depending on how dry the pork is in the crock pot, add 1/4-/12 cup of saved liquid to keep the pork most.
- 8. Chop up the saved onion into tiny pieces and add back to the crock pot.
- 9. Stir in the barbeque sauce.
- 10. Continue to cook with the lid on for another 2-4 hours.
- 11. Serve on hamburger buns, topped with more sauce, coleslaw, and sliced pickles.
OMG, shut up!!!!! I can hardly stand how good this is! Thank you sooooo much! I followed everything to the T and just tasted it before adding barbecue sauce and I am leaving it as is! OUTSTANDING! I really appreciate you posting this!
Great slow cooker recipe. The pork turned out very moist and we loved the idea of adding the onions and then combining them with the shredded pork afterwards. Very easy to prepare with great results. We had wonderful pulled pork sandwiches last night and I know the leftovers will be equally as good. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.
I can't believe more people haven't rated this. This is my go to pulled pork recipe.