This recipe is a low dutch version of scrapple, often made after butchering a hog. It was given to me by my exhusband's grandmother and was a family favorite for years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the meat until it falls off the bones, generally in a dutch oven on top of the stove.
- 2About 2 hours.
- 3Reserve cooking liquid.
- 4Remove meat from bones and grind, fat and all in meat grinder.
- 5Cook old fashioned oats in the cooking liquid, adding enough oats to make a texture like oatmeal.
- 6Mix ground meat with oatmeal mixture and add allspice, salt and pepper"to taste".
- 7I used a fair amount of allspice, 1-2T for a batch.
- 8Refrigerate or freeze in serving sized batches.
- 9Prepare by spoon frying, with a little butter or oil, until a browned coating forms.
- 10Eat for breakfast or on bread as a sandwich.
Nutritional Facts for Prettles
Serving Size: 1 (0 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: