Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is a low dutch version of scrapple, often made after butchering a hog. It was given to me by my exhusband's grandmother and was a family favorite for years.
- 1 pork butt or 1 fresh picnic roast, or some fattier pork combined with a little less beef
- old-fashioned oatmeal
- ground allspice
- Boil the meat until it falls off the bones, generally in a dutch oven on top of the stove.
- About 2 hours.
- Reserve cooking liquid.
- Remove meat from bones and grind, fat and all in meat grinder.
- Cook old fashioned oats in the cooking liquid, adding enough oats to make a texture like oatmeal.
- Mix ground meat with oatmeal mixture and add allspice, salt and pepper"to taste".
- I used a fair amount of allspice, 1-2T for a batch.
- Refrigerate or freeze in serving sized batches.
- Prepare by spoon frying, with a little butter or oil, until a browned coating forms.
- Eat for breakfast or on bread as a sandwich.
I believe my family used pin oats when making this recipe.