Recipe by Chef Pan
German Breakfast Sausage This recipe was brought over from Germany they threw all left overs from butchering together and made this. Today this is how I make it.
Top Review by Rick M.
When my mom made this she would use the hogs head and boil all the meat off of it. I find getting a hogs head somewhat problematic..... But once the every thing was all mixed together she would re-grind to get a smoother consistancy.
- 5 lbs pork shoulder
- 5 lbs beef roast
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons allspice
- 1 lb pinhead oats or 1 lb steel cut oats, this is 4 cups
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover with salted water, and boil until meat is tender. Grind the meat in a meat grinder.
- Mix together well. Set aside.
- Cook 4 cups pinhead oats, in the broth left over from the meat. You will need 3 cups of broth for each 1 cup of oats. Cook 20 minutes. Then add the the ground meat, mixing well. Add the pepper and allspice mixing well. Spread into a couple 9x12 cake pans. Place in freezer until cool enough to cut into blocks, wrap in foil and return to freezer until ready to use.
- Place a small amount of Crisco or butter in a skillet and fry just until heated.
- We serve it on bread or toast. Some put molasses on it too.
- If you like it spicer add more pepper and allspice to taste.