Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
German Breakfast Sausage This recipe was brought over from Germany they threw all left overs from butchering together and made this. Today this is how I make it.
- 5 lbs pork shoulder
- 5 lbs beef roast
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons allspice
- 1 lb pinhead oats or 1 lb steel cut oats, this is 4 cups
- Cover with salted water, and boil until meat is tender. Grind the meat in a meat grinder.
- Mix together well. Set aside.
- Cook 4 cups pinhead oats, in the broth left over from the meat. You will need 3 cups of broth for each 1 cup of oats. Cook 20 minutes. Then add the the ground meat, mixing well. Add the pepper and allspice mixing well. Spread into a couple 9x12 cake pans. Place in freezer until cool enough to cut into blocks, wrap in foil and return to freezer until ready to use.
- Place a small amount of Crisco or butter in a skillet and fry just until heated.
- We serve it on bread or toast. Some put molasses on it too.
- If you like it spicer add more pepper and allspice to taste.
I grew up eating prettles and believe it to be one of those foods that you have to acquire a taste for. The basic recipe is dead on, thank you very much! I gave it 4 stars because I made it according to the recipe last year and it tasted bland to me. I just made it again and kept adding allspice and tasting it until I had added over 7 times the recipe quantity, and skpped the pepper altogether. Apparently my Mother liked it spicey and that is how I became accustomed to eating prettles. Thanks so much for the recipe!