Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a hearty casserole for the fall and winter months. Great to make ahead and reheat as needed.
- Mince the shallots.
- Melt 2 Tbs butter in the pressure cooker.
- Add the shallots and cook over high heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and barley and stir well.
- Pour in the sherry.
- When the mixture has stopped sputtering, add the beef stock or broth and water.
- Close pressure cooker and bring up to full pressure.
- Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 23 minutes.
- Release pressure.
- Most of the rice should be split open and tender but not mushy.
- Return the cover and cook longer if necessary.
- If there is liquid remaining after the rice is cooked, pour it off.
- The mushrooms can be cooked in the pressure cooker by removing the rice and after it is cooked, or they can be cooked in a skillet while the rice is cooking.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tbs butter in the pressure cooker or a skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat until they are soft and most of the liquid has been cooked away.
- Fold the mushrooms into the rice mixture and add salt to taste.
- This dish can be made several days in advance and refrigerated.
- Reheat on the stove or in the microwave oven before serving.
Very nice recipe. Great combination with wild rice & barley. I sub'd some wild for brown also. I used abit of essence spice in place of the salt. There was quite abit of water left over so I will try cutting that back next time. Wonderful pressure cooker recipe to add to my collection, thanks for sharing.
Thank you for this one and only recipe. I am going to make this all summer long and use it as a cold salad side dish or with grilled veggies.
This rocks! It's healthy, it's quick, I put grilled kolrhabi on it for my vegetarian friends and adobo chicken for everyone else. We are going to make this in bulk all winter. As I really don't like mushrooms, I used oyster mushrooms and it was wonderful.