This is my Mom's famous split pea soup recipe that I adapted to the pressure cooker. It really cuts the cooking time-from several hours to about 30 min. Great for cold winter suppers.
- Fill pressure cooker with water and other ingredients, except Sherry.
- Make sure the pot is no more than half full.
- Put lid on cooker, place rocker (if model has one) on vent pipe and bring to high pressure.
- When at correct pressure start timing for 20 min.
- Let cooker release steam naturally.
- If using a pork bone, remove and pull all meat off and add to soup.
- Adjust salt to suit your taste at this point.
- Serve with a splash of Sherry if you wish.
- Note: You can start this recipe with frozen pork hock by first covering bone with 8 cups water and pressure cook as directed above for about 30 min.
- then cold water release pressure and add all other ingredients.
- Replace lid, bring to pressure and time for 10 more min.
- and let pressure naturally drop.