Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love the restaurant Chicken with Sausage and peppers with pasta. This is a fast version of my recipe that basically takes all day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Italian sausages (about 12 oz total)
- 1 frying chicken, skin removed cut into serving pieces
- 1 medium onion (about 4 oz)
- 2 medium green bell peppers (about 10 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker.
- Prick the skin of the sausages in several places with the tines of a fork.
- Add the sausages and chicken to the oil and cook until well browned on all sides.
- While the chicken is cooking, dice the onion.
- Cut the green peppers into 3/4" thick strips.
- Mince the garlic.
- When the chicken and sausages are browned, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, green peppers and garlic to the cooker to cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and stir up the browned bits from the bottom of the cooker.
- Add the chicken and sausages, tomatoes, basil, fennel, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Close pressure cooker and bring up to full pressure.
- Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
- Release pressure and adjust the seasoning.
This was great! Inspired by a similar recipe, I added cut-up red potatoes and about 1/2 c red wine, and 8 oz of mushrooms. This made for a very yummy stewlike one-pot meal with a delicious rich broth. The fennel is a great touch--I think it's a sadly underutilized herb.
Wonderful weeknight meal, served with Quick Parboiled Rice - 2-Qt. Pressure Cooker. Used 4 chicken thighs and 3 hot Italian sausages, which fed us 2 seniors. I saved the remaining sauce, from which I will discard the congealed fat before topping tomorrow's potatoes. There may be more gourmet recipes, but this smelled wonderful while cooking and satisfied us completely. I will definitely make this again. Note: used Chef Essentials 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, so extended time at pressure to 12 minutes; after starting cooker's climb to pressure, I began measuring and rinsing rice for Quick Parboiled Rice - 2-Qt. Pressure Cooker, which completed before this recipe finished releasing pressure naturally. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game.
This was great! I used 3 leg quarters cut into pieces, and 1 pound of sausage. Served over spaghetti with parmesan on top. Yum!