Recipe by veggieGwen
I call this double dhal because it has two different types of pulses and both sweet and regular potatoes. The method and seasoning are based on Moong-Chole Ki Dal, by Usha Rana which can be seen in its original form here: http://www.boloji.com/recipes/05.htm The main change was to include the potatoes because I wanted a whole meal in a pot. I also trebled the recipe so I could freeze it off in batches. I have a fairly big pressure and this lot barely fit so if you have a small one, maybe halve the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups channa dal
- 1 cup green lentil
- 6 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sultana
- 650 g potatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 500 g sweet potatoes, chopped into big chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chana dal and lentils until water runs clear.
- Heat olive oil in pressure cooker and soften onions and garlic.
- Add all other ingredients apart from garam masala, salt and sultanas to pressure cooker.
- Lid and bring up to pressure.
- Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Release pressure and open lid carefully.
- Add sultanas, salt and garam masala.
- Check for seasoning and add chili flakes and pepper to taste.
- Check doneness of potatoes and lentils and simmer until soft.