Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I grew up with cholent that my mother and grandmother cooked all day and night...this is my version that is a lot quicker and a little different. Cholent is a traditional Eastern European Jewish dish which cooked for 24 hours. My family used kosher meat of course-this dish tastes better with kosher beef--i am not sure why. I like to serve this over noodles. You can substitute Flanken for chuck
- Heat oil in large skillet and brown beef well on both sides and place into pot.
- Chop coarsely: garlic and onions then place into cooker.
- Cut carrots into large chunks and put into pot.
- Peel potatoes and put into pot.
- Add barley, rinsed until clear, to pot.
- Place everything else into pressure cooker.
- Bring to high and cook 2 hours.
- Let pressure come down naturally before opening.
Oh, this was excellent! I have already passed the recipe on to 2 people. I did make 1 change though; I used 2 cups of water and 1 cup of red wine. Delicious, thanks Petlover.
From Debbie (Chef#1247556 I followed this recipe exactly as instructed and the result was the best beef barley stew my husband and I have ever tasted! The kitchen smelled so good. This one's a keeper. Thanks!